TrsRockin Sex Party
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TrsRockin Sex Party

Hallelujah, Yuku is dead.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pheonyx
Birdlike Aztecian Goddess
Pheonyx

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 11:39 pm

Chapter 14: Pirates, Ninjas, and now, Secret Agents

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pheonyx
Pheonyx

PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Chapter 15: The Pokemon Trainer’s New Clothes

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pheonyx
Pheonyx

PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Chapter 16: On the road to victory!

Spoiler:

Last edited by Pheonyx on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pheonyx
Pheonyx

PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2016 9:36 pm

Final Chapter: It ends like it began… In a huge boiling rage

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pheonyx
Pheonyx

PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 10, 2016 5:02 pm

Extra: Pokemon that were missed

Despite the long journey through Tandor, not every Pokemon was encountered. For the sake of completion before my Top 10 Best and Worst list, let’s take a look at what I missed.

Frikitiki
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160817013024

Frikitiki is a Grass/Fire type that evolves from the Tikiki’s found in the rainforest. What ends up being most notable about this Pokemon is its moveset, which is almost entirely made up of every powerful Grass and Fire type move available, making me kind of glad I never had to fight one.

Slothohm
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160816195236&format=webp

One of three fossil Pokemon, along with Snopach and Jungold. It is Electric/Rock type and evolves into Theriamp, which I believe I fought during the seventh gym. Despite it being a sloth, it gets 100 base Speed as Theriamp.

Mega Syrentide
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160816032725&format=webp

Mega Evolving from Syrentide, the evolution of Selkid (Felix), this Pokemon bolsters an impressive Special Defense.

Mega Dramsama
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160816232525&format=webp

Just in case Dramsama didn’t have enough rainbow feathers, its Mega adds plenty more. Mega Dramsama ditches Illusion as a skill and instead gains Bad Dreams, as well as boosting its Special Attack to 145.

Navighast
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160812033707&format=webp

The last Pokemon of the Swabone line. It dumps Scrappy for Levitate and has powerful Ghost and Fighting moves like Hammer Arm, Superpower, and Shadow Ball.

Stenowatt
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160816022836

Stenowatt’s kind of weird in that it’s an animated sprite, despite the fact that it’s just an average, everyday Pokemon. (The others are the starters evos, Urayne, and Seikamater.) Despite the fact that Stenowatt is listed as a common encounter on Victory Road, I sure never encountered one. Which is a shame, because I would have picked up an Electric raptor dinosaur instantly.

Minicorn
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160825142155&format=webp

Minicorn is obtained by talking to Professor Bamb’o after catching 50 Pokemon. It evolves into Kiricorn and Oblivicorn through a Shiny and Dusk Stone respectively, though only Kiricorn gets a Mega Evolution. Its Pokedex entry literally says that a popular toy line is based on it, so yes, I wasn’t even joking when I called its evolutions the My Little Pony Pokemon.

Luxi, Luxor, Luxelong
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160818024425&format=webpNyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160816230634&format=webpNyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160816232219&format=webp

This Dragon/Fairy line can only be obtained by talking to Professor Bamb’o after catching 100 Pokemon. They’re considered the Lucky and Fortune Pokemon.

Baitatao, Leviathao, Krakanao
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160824092139&format=webpNyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160815173153&format=webpNyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160815225124&format=webp

This Legendary sea creature trio was mentioned several times throughout the game, but they currently remain unavailable. They only have partial information in the data, but the unofficial patchers say there’s a good chance they’ll add them later.

Lanthan
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160816223551

Lanthan is the Ground/Steel member of the legendary trio with Actan and… Heatran? He’s not even in this game. Lanthan and Actan are both available in-game, with Lanthan having a whole side quest dedicated, so I mean technically there’s some post-game stuff that I’ve still yet to do.

Aotius and Mutios

The two gods of the Tandor region. These two have the least amount of information in the data, but they are technically a part of the Pokedex, so they count. They have no sprites, or moves, but Aotius is a Flying/Fire type and Mutios is a Ghost/Water type, and they both have BSTs of 700. Their Pokedex information reads W H I T E L I G H T S H I N E S and B L A C K S H A D E P R O T E C T S.

Zephy
Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160829054410&format=webp

Pretty much the Mew of this game, and the wiki wasn’t shy about admitting it’s the creator’s Middle School OC. But hey, I’d totally put my dorky old OCs in as unobtainable Pokemon too.
Back to top Go down
Pheonyx
Pheonyx

PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 11, 2016 12:29 am

Extra: Top 10 Best and Worst Fakemon!

It’s time to go over my Top 10 Best Fakemon of Fakemon Uranium, and Top 10 Worst Fakemon.

Top 10 Best Fakemon
Spoiler:

Top 10 Worst Fakemon
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pheonyx
Pheonyx

PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Pokemon Uranium: Review

Hey, I think it’s finally time I gave a review to this game! I tried to do it Dan’s way but I ended up writing a more traditional review instead.

Story

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Screen_Shot_2016_10_30_at_10_34_34_PM

The biggest strength to Pokemon Uranium is perhaps its ability to craft a story without completely following the long time Pokemon format. Whereas Sun and Moon diverged from the Pokemon template by exchanging gym battles for island trials, Uranium threw out the evil team system and instead put forth an original story about the new Nuclear Pokemon horde and a mad scientist bent on destruction. Despite the Nuclear Pokemon themselves posing a bit less of a threat in the actual gameplay, the reaction to them in the story was convincing enough for me to buy into the narrative. Tying it all together is an enjoyable central cast of characters who are consistently met with throughout the entire game, even if the motivation and backstory of Lucille and Kellyn are highly questionable. Leading the praise is Theo, who frankly had the most character growth of any rival in a Pokemon game.

Outside of the main plot line was less consistent in quality, however. Some of the side plot threads were fine, like rescuing Tiko from Anthell and meeting Professor Larkspur, as they gave more insight into the lore of the world and backstory. Others were a bit more questionable, like how girls are treated equally in society except in this one instance of theater, or how nobody questions how the leaders of the ninja tribe are inexplicably over a hundred years old. And others are just downright ridiculous, like any time Garlikid is on screen.

Gameplay

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Screen_Shot_2016_09_27_at_7_47_06_PM

Given that it’s still at heart a Pokemon game, it’s difficult for any fan game to not achieve at least a minimum enjoyability, so long as it doesn’t trip over its own feet. And for the most part, Uranium is able to achieve that, at least until a bad gameplay design jumps out of the shadows and clocks you with a baseball bat, leaving you on the ground trying to grasp what just happened.

Picking a starter will inevitably lead to a frustrating experience regardless of who you choose. Starting with Orchynx will make you want to throw your computer out the window from the first battle, stopping only when it finally learns Vine Whip. Picking one of the other two starts well until you get to the first cave, in which you have to suffer through an entire cave of poison type enemies who slowly drain your enjoyment away as the Orchynx people gleefully flip you off with their part Steel cat paw fingers.

Then there’s the sudden difficulty spike in the second half of the game. Uranium was never an easy game to begin with, so an even worse chasm between my Pokemon’s levels and the opponent’s was not a welcome change. Had I not found the ninjas with their special training Pokemon, it’s possible I might be rating this game much, much lower based on the championship battles alone.

But the most egregious design is that of the map. From starter to championship, the amount of backtracking required in this game is unbelievable. While the game is aware of this, and tries its best to provide shortcuts and quick travel, they aren’t foolproof (as proven by me unable to use Surf to get back through the rainforest.) But the worst of it is due to the map requiring two sub-maps, and the inability to fly between them, instead requiring either a 500 Pokedollar fee or hiking back through several routes.

That’s not to say all gameplay was bad. The map designs of the individual routes themselves were quite good, and it was nice to see some new and original ideas with things like gym puzzles and the S-51 side quest (even if it was a bit frustrating.)

Lastly, as neat an idea as Nuclear Pokemon is, the whole mechanic fell squarely as a gimmick. By making Nuclear type both super effective and weak against every other type, the only viable strategy is to use a glass canon build, aka Nucleon. Every other Nuclear Pokemon is nigh worthless, compounded by the fact that Nuclear Pokemon won’t even listen to you until you’re almost done with the game.

Art and Monster Design

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Screen+Shot%202016-08-16%20at%2011.51.42%20PM

While I made fun of some designs, I was generally pretty happy with all of the fakemon. Even the hardest of critics should be able to fill out their team with six Pokemon they like. Fakemon sprites were also quite good, and though some may have needed a second pass, all fakemon sprites ranged from outstanding to pretty good… except Slothohm. Dammit Slothohm.

Trainer sprites were a little worse for wear, as it was obvious the main spriter has a better grasp of fantastical creature anatomy than human anatomy.

Polish and Bugs

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Screen_Shot_2016_09_27_at_8_23_26_PM

Audio in this game was pretty good. The fakemon had a mix of reusing cries from official Pokemon (which occasionally got confusing if you recognized the official source) and original cries that varied in quality. The background music was also a mix of an original soundtrack, remixes, and borrowed music from other video games or the anime. With the exception of the one song I recognized from Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, it all blended together just fine, and the original stuff is pretty good.

Easily the most frustrating thing about this game is the sheer amount of bugs. While I’d say it’s about on-par with most rom hacks and fan games, they hype surrounding this game made me expect a far smoother experience. And not just the hype, but the fact that it was the official release of the game. You’d think that before the official release, the creators would want to at least play through the game from front to back, just to make sure everything was right. But instead, all evidence points to them just one day slapping a bow on it and saying “close enough!” The unrecognized quotation marks and apostrophes, the messed up move screen, the complete inability to use ethers, the lack of a hazard suit on one of the trainer types, and the potentially game breaking bug that requires you to upgrade to the latest patch are all things that should have easily been caught and fixed had the creators actually play tested at all.

Conclusion

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Screen_Shot_2016_09_27_at_8_26_01_PM

I’d wager that Pokemon Uranium is one of the best Pokemon fan games you’ll find on the internet today. With the exception of a few rough patches and annoying moments, it was still the same fun you’d get from a whole new Pokemon game, and being able to jump into it without any knowledge of what I’d find inside was a welcome breath of fresh air, considering Game Freak seems to be revealing everything but the plot for the official games now.

Was it as good as an official game? Absolutely not. But it shouldn’t have to be. A game created by two amateurs in their free time has no chance of being as good as a game developed by a team of professionals, and if it is, Game Freak and Nintendo have a lot to worry about. But even with everything going for it, there are still a few shortcomings that hold it back from being a truly great experience. The bugs can be fixed by downloading the unofficial patch, but the requirement to do so is baffling.

Overall, if you’re feeling hungry for a new Pokemon experience and can’t wait until the next game, then give Uranium a shot. It’s not perfect, it’s rough around the edges, but there’s plenty worse you could be playing.

Final Score: 7/10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]   Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete] - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Nyx Plays Pokemon Uranium [Complete]
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2